Pages

Saturday 25 May 2013

Review - Foretold by Jana Oliver


Foretold (The Demon Trappers, #4)

Goodreads description: In the fourth Demon Trappers novel, Riley faces the final battle for humanity and Beck's heart—and Hell is the least of her problems
Now that Riley’s managed to (just barely) fend off Armageddon, everything’s changed. Well . . . most things. After their passionate kiss before the big battle in the cemetery, Beck is back to treating her like a little girl, as if nothing ever happened. While she’d love to just tell him off and move on, Riley vowed to take care of Beck the way he’s taken care of her since her father’s death—but she’s about to get a whole lot more than she bargained for. When she’s commissioned to go with Beck to his hometown and help him care for his dying mother, they stumble too close to a dark and murderous secret, one that Beck fears will drive Riley away from him forever. As chaos breaks loose, Riley may be Beck's only hope for redemption . . . and survival.

Meanwhile, up in Atlanta, it’s quickly becoming clear that Heaven may have won a battle, but the war is far from over. Riley and Beck face a stormy future, as Lucifer's ex-right-hand-man, Sartael, proves himself to be more resilient than anyone thought. He has Atlanta in his grip and is about to begin a brutal war with the prince of Hell. As the seconds tick down toward a final confrontation, it's up to Riley and the man she loves to finally defeat their old enemy, or lose everything they've fought for.

Amazon
Amazon UK


I jumped right into reading this book after I finished Forgiven, and my God – the final book of the Demon Trappers series really packs a punch! Despite everything they’ve been through, Beck continues to push Riley away, but when she’s sent to accompany him on a visit to his dying mother in his hometown of Sadlersville, she begins to find out what he was desperate to hide from her: everyone in his former home suspects him of a double murder he didn’t commit. But whilst he – and the press – want to find out the truth, others want to keep it quiet – and Riley’s soon caught in the middle. Meanwhile, a fallen angel owns her soul, one who wants revenge…

I expected an emotional rollercoaster and I wasn’t disappointed. I read the whole book in one sitting – it was that good! The books keep getting better and in this fourth instalment, the stakes are higher than ever – if that’s even possible! There’s plenty of tension between Riley and Ori, the Fallen angel who owns her soul, and her desire to shield her obligation from Beck mirrors his own desire to keep his dark history from surfacing. I said this in my review of Forgiven, but the two are perfect for each other. The other characters get development and insight too, including Simon, who’s struggling to deal with the consequences of being tricked by Hell. As with the previous books, there’s plenty of intense action, and I found myself literally on the edge of my seat (well, bean bag) when reading the last few chapters. Holy. Hell! But what an ending. It ends with a conclusion that eclipses any in the series so far – and I don’t mind admitting I cried (tears of happiness or joy…I’ll not say which in order to stay spoiler-free!).

The final book in the Demon Trappers series is the best yet, and the perfect end to the series. Whilst it ends with no doubt that this is the real end – there will be no more sequels – I was glad to hear this, even though I love the characters and the story so much. Jana Oliver has the gift of ending a story in just the right place, tying all the loose ends and ensuring that all the characters get a fitting ending. And it works really well. The Demon Trappers series is fantastic as it is, and it’s definitely going on my ‘rereading’ list!

Rating: *****

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I've only read the first 2 in the Demon Trappers series so far (got sidetracked by other books in my TBR tower) but I'm really looking forward to picking the series back up after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the awesome review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds wonderful, and I hadn't heard of the series before so I'll be on the lookout for it now. Thanks for the great recommendation! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found the final book to be amazing! Usually the last book of any series is very disappointing, which is, in a way, understandable since how do you write an awesome ending fit for an awesome series? My curiosity is piqued and I'm not adding this to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete