Pages

Thursday 6 June 2013

Indie Book of the Week #1 - The Forgotten Ones by Laura Howard

I've decided to start this new feature to highlight indie (self-published or small press) books and authors whose work I've enjoyed! Since I started my publishing journey, I've discovered so many awesome new books and met some fantastic, dedicated independent authors working so hard to get their work out there. I don't have time to write a detailed review of every book I read, since I'm busy with my own writing and work for my internship, so I decided to do this instead! Every week I'll be picking one author whose work I've recently enjoyed and posting a mini review!

The Forgotten Ones

Goodreads Summary: Allison O'Malley's plan is to go to grad school so she can get a good job and take care of her schizophrenic mother. She has carefully closed herself off from everything else, including a relationship with Ethan, who she's been in love with for as long as she can remember.

What is definitely not part of the plan is the return of her long-lost father, who claims he can bring Allison's mother back from the dark place her mind has gone. Allison doesn't trust her father, so why would she believe his stories about a long forgotten Irish people, the Tuatha de Danaan? But truths have a way of revealing themselves. Secrets will eventually surface. And Allison must learn to set aside her plan and work with her father if there is even a small chance it could restore her mother's sanity.



I’ve had my eye on The Forgotten Ones for a while, and I jumped at the chance to read a non-contemporary new adult novel. 21-year-old Alison’s only life plans revolve around taking care of her schizophrenic mother, who has never been the same since Alison’s father left just before her birth. She keeps people at a distance, even Ethan, her childhood crush, but he seems to be showing an interest in her, and she isn’t sure she can resist. Then her father turns up out of nowhere, and suddenly she’s hearing voices in her head and having strange dreams. Her father is actually from Tir na n’Og, the faerie world, a world that might be the last hope for her mother’s sanity.

This was an enjoyable read and I really enjoyed the use of Irish faerie mythology. I was caught up in the story and the magic and suspense were superb. I especially liked how the contemporary world and the faerie world were intertwined in Allison’s life, and I’m looking forward to seeing how the romance with Ethan develops. This is a fast-paced and engaging read and will appeal to any fans of fantasy, mythology and romance – well worth checking out! :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, The Forgotten Ones has such a stunning cover! Just added this to my wishlist, since I enjoy faerie-related novels. :)

    ReplyDelete