Pages

Wednesday 28 August 2013

What's Up Wednesday #4



What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme run by Erin L Funk and Jaime Morrow and is a great way for readers and writers to catch up!

What I'm reading

After finally catching up with all my internship reading, I read Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott, which was awesome. I wish I had more time to read!

What I'm writing

I'm back at work on Darkworld Book 5 and on my new YA fantasy, but progress is slow. I've had a busy weekend and I'm now working full-time, so it's to be expected, but I can't help feeling frustrated with myself for not getting enough done! Meanwhile, I'm still exchanging emails with my editor about the changes to Darkness Watching!

What else I've been up to

Well, I spent a lovely weekend at the seaside with my boyfriend and his family, followed by a birthday party and watching City of Bones (which I really enjoyed, despite the changes from the book!). Then on Monday, I travelled to my new studio flat in London, where I'm living for the next 5 weeks! I started my internship yesterday, and I'm enjoying it! 

What inspires me right now

I'm struggling to find inspiration at the moment. London's amazing, but I'm feeling exhausted and overwhelmed due to the total emotional upheaval of the past few days. After an amazing weekend, moving to a new city where I know no one is taking a bit of adjusting to! I'm not homesick, per se, but I guess since university I haven't really ascribed one particular place as 'home' (I live with my parents but as there are no jobs in publishing nearby, I've always known I'll have to move to London, and most of my friends live hundreds of miles away anyway!). 

But it's tough. I'm happy, because I know I'm lucky in so many ways. But I'm also sad, and a bit scared (no money, general career uncertainty etc.) I guess I'm feeling unsettled and trying to get used to NOT getting used to anything! But I think I just need a good night's sleep and some time to adjust. 

Hope everyone else is having a great week! :)

20 comments:

  1. You have so much on your plate-- many great things, but I can see where you might feel the need to breathe deep and regroup. Hope this internship is wonderful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to get an internship in London in the near future, I totally empathise, there's nothing in publishing near me either. It sounds like you're doing quite well, though, despite all the changes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I couldn't be the only one! Thanks :)

      Delete
  3. Best of luck with your internship! I've moved around a lot and know how hard and overwhelming it can be. Just try to take each day as it comes and expect to feel uncomfortable, but remember feeling uncomfortable means you're taking risks and moving forward. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm definitely making the most of the experience!

      Delete
  4. I also feel like there needs to be more time to read!

    And good luck - with the full time job and the new home and trying to make time for everything. I hope your transition is a smooth one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'm getting used to it now!

      Delete
  5. Change is always scary, but so vital to life. We wouldn't exist without change. I also have some big changes coming up and while I'm terrified, I'm also really excited about all the potential these changes hold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Good luck with everything coming up! :)

      Delete
  6. Enjoy the internship and living in London! What an adventure :) Best of luck with all your writing and editing too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother ALWAYS told me a good night sleep could fix anything! :) And now I try to tell my daughters that and they roll their eyes at me. (I'm sure I never rolled my eyes at my Mom... haha!) I hope you feel more settled soon. Thank goodness for the wonderful online community of writers lifting you up no matter where they are or where you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely - I don't know where I'd be without it! :)

      Delete
  8. Good luck with your writing! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you're busy! I can't imagine trying to juggle so much at once. Sorry to hear you've been struggling for inspiration. Hopefully that becomes less challenging soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly keeps life interesting! Getting used to it now! :)

      Delete
  10. Good for you, Emma--taking risks, living outside your comfort zone, experiencing something new, and being prepared to do what it takes to achieve your goals. And you know everything you go through now will help to shape you as a writer, so soak it all up--even the feelings of loneliness and uncertainty!

    Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'm definitely trying to get as much as I can from the experience!

      Delete
  11. Best of luck with your writing projects! I hope you can find more time for writing in your busy schedule and that you'll feel more settled in your new home soon! :)

    ReplyDelete