Pages

Saturday 26 April 2014

#WIPMarathon Report #3

Last report wordcount and chapter count/scene count: I'd just finished my WIP (first draft) and written a revision plan for Indestructible, my YA post-apocalyptic fantasy.

Current report WC + CC/SC:
 This month, I've been writing my sequel for Camp NaNoWriMo - I'm at the halfway mark! I've also been working on more revisions on Indestructible based on CP feedback.

WIP Issues this month: Argh, confidence issues. It's difficult to say what exactly triggered it, but as I'm in the awkward position of being a published author but still languishing in the query trenches, both things have really been chipping away at my confidence. Every other day seems to bring a new disappointment, knockback, or badly-timed email, and the long game of waiting, waiting, waiting... Obviously, I'm in this for the long haul. But sometimes, a bit of good news would be nice!

Four things I learned this month in writing:
  •  Sometimes, changing your mind about what project to work on can be a good thing! I was originally going to write a different book as I said last month, but I decided I was more in the mood to write this one. And it was definitely the right move. It's been a hard month, so coming back to characters I love has been such a relief!
  • Every book I write is different, but with each, I become more confident in my writing process. It changes slightly with each book, but I'm accepting that I need to have a fairly detailed outline before I start a draft - no exceptions. The more I leave to chance, the more rewriting I have to do later on when the story inevitably nose-dives off a cliff. I'm still putting off the moment when I have to get out the MG draft I wrote in October-December, where I completely lost control of the story and will probably have to do a major revision!
  • In some ways, sequels are easier than the first book in a series. I know my characters well enough that I don't spend ages racking my brain trying to figure out what decision they'll make, and events seem to flow naturally without the initial struggling phase I always have when I'm trying to get into a character's head! 
  • With that being said, characters can still surprise you, even if you outline. I'm writing a sequel which has been outlined since before I wrote the first book - and yet, not four chapters in, I had a character make a decision that completely took me by surprise! And it just happened again. Over the course of a long story, the characters really do start to take control! It's almost like they're thinking for themselves.
What distracted me this month when writing: In addition to the self-doubt sucking me under, I was also struck down by the Plague. I somehow got two viruses at once, which was oh-so-much fun... I actually managed to keep writing, but my productivity took a nosedive. No surprises there. But I also booked a holiday with a friend in a week's time, so I'm looking forward to a whole week away from emails!

Goal for next month: Ideally, I'd like to finish this draft! But I'm away this weekend, and on the 3rd I'm going on holiday to Majorca (woo! :D), so I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull it off. This month has really knocked it out of me! If not, I'm hoping by mid-June I'll be done with the first draft of this, and also final edits on Indestructible.

Last 200 words: Um...it's a sequel. I don't want any spoilers. :P

7 comments:

  1. I feel you. I've also been struggling with self-doubt this month. I think it's something every author regardless of where they are in the career will suffer from at least once a WIP.

    Hope you enjoy your time away from the Internet and that May is an awesome writing month for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm writing a sequel which has been outlined since before I wrote the first book - and yet, not four chapters in, I had a character make a decision that completely took me by surprise!"

    I love when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate to the confidence issues. I tend to draft really fast, but I've been dragging my feet because I just can't stand to go into the query trenches again. Yeah, totally, some good news really would be nice!

    I hope I get to a sequel one day. It does seem like at least some aspects would be a little easier to write.

    Have fun in Majorca!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work! :D

    I'm sorry to hear writing has been getting you down lately. I'm back in the trenches with you and feeling the sadness with every rejection. ^^; But we have to keep moving on!

    I LOVE when characters take on a life of their own! They almost always know themselves better than I do!

    Hope you're feeling better! Have a nice trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't not outline before writing a book. I'd just end up having an incurable writer's block in the middle, so I admire writers who are confident with pantsing their way through!

    I love Indestructible as a title I think you should keep it. ;)

    Good for you traveling (also, can't wait to see pictures of Spain)! Querying can be such a depressing experience, but crossing fingers for you that your inbox would sing a happy song someday!

    Happy writing and traveling next month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Argh, confidence issues. It's difficult to say what exactly triggered it, but as I'm in the awkward position of being a published author but still languishing in the query trenches, both things have really been chipping away at my confidence.'

    Well, for what it's worth. You have a vey strong and professional online presence. That can only be good.

    J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on completing the first draft of your WIP! So sorry about the confidence issues, though. I can relate to that far too well!

    ReplyDelete