Pages

Wednesday 1 October 2014

What's Up Wednesday & IWSG

It's time for What's Up Wednesday, a weekly meme run by Erin L Funk and Jaime Morrow. Here's what I've been up to this past week!


What I'm reading


I read Unmade by Sarah Rees Brennan, which was an amazing series conclusion, even if it made me tear up. *sniffle*

I also reread Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, because you can never read that awesomeness enough times. ^^

Now I'm finally reading Heir of Fire. *flails*

What I'm writing

I'm officially writing Shiny New Series Book 2! And... it's going well. :) I'm also still working on the novella. I'm not going all-out-crazy this time because I don't want to run into a wall and get stuck, but progress is definitely happening! God, I love this series. ^^

What works for me

I was a bit scared to start writing the second book in my series because I was still in Edit Mode - in other words, hyper-analysing every sentence and fretting because the words I was writing weren't anywhere near as polished and snappy as final-draft standard. But then I remembered that I'd actually added in some of my favourite lines/scenes later on, and I write best when I relax into it and let the characters speak for themselves. (And in this series, this tends to happen a lot! :P)

I also gave myself permission to reread some of the lines/sections from the first book I like the most, to remind myself why I loved the story so much, and it gave me a push to get some serious words down on Book 2!

What else I've been up to

Not much! I've just been working, and setting up my new desktop computer (my laptop died a tragic death...possibly because of a certain book :P). Let's hope it's hardcore enough to handle my crazy 15-hour work days... ;)

And in less than a week, I'll be in Iceland! :D *flails* So I won't be updating next week - fingers crossed I get to see the Northern Lights!



Picture
It's also time for IWSG! The Insecure Writer's Support Group is the creation of Ninja Captain Alex, and is a great way for writers to share their worries, support and encouragement. 

I've sent in my post for the IWSG anthology, which is longer than 300 words... so I guess I'll just ramble. 

This month, I'm in the between-state of waiting for feedback on my manuscript from beta readers, while working on Book 2. This is always nerve-wracking, but not only is this a story I truly LOVE, but it's the first in a series I plan to invest most of the next year in, at least. So, no pressure! ;)

I might have just dropped a not-so-subtle hint about my Secret Plans there...

You know, I'm not insecure about querying anymore. In fact, I forget I'm even in the trenches at all (which says volumes about how it's going, really! :P). At this point, I'm genuinely happy with where I am in my writing. That's not to say I don't have bad days. But putting words onto the page has always been what mattered most to me, and I think with publishing being so stressful at the best of times, it can be easy to forget that. Yes, the universe has kicked me in the face a fair few times this year, but I refuse not to have fun when writing!

That's how I wrote a book in 24 days!  First drafts are usually a battle of wills between me and and my own lingering insecurities. This one was a dream from start to finish. And it helped that I was writing characters who are incredibly stubborn in the face of adversity. I've never had so much fun with a first draft!

So I've been trying to make changes to make writing more fun - upping my daily word goals, only letting myself check emails at certain times, putting positive review quotes on the wall, and keeping a list of reasons I love the story I'm writing. It worked last time... let's hope it works for the sequel! :)

28 comments:

  1. Emma, I'm so happy for your upcoming trip to Iceland. Please share some photos! Great news about your prolific writing. I'm not sure I've been able to edit and write in the same series at the same time but I have edited a picture book, say while writing the first draft of an MG novel. If they're different - no problem! I make them FEEL different by switching tea flavors and where I sit to work on them. May sound crazy, but it works for me!

    Ok, 24 days MUST be a new record! Congrats on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I didn't realize UNMADE was out already! I'm reading HEIR OF FIRE too, so it might be a while until I get to UNMADE though.

    I write best when I relax into the story as well. Sometimes that's hard to do, but when it happens, it's worth it!

    I really hope you get to see the Northern Lights when you're in Iceland. Here, on the Canadian prairies, I've seen them in all different colours, dancing across the entire sky, and it was spectacular! Definitely something you never forget! Have a super week, and I hope work on your sequel keeps going well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iceland! Northern lights?! Awesome, take me, take me!! Have a great time and safe travels. Also, great to hear when writers find their writing groove! Keep up the positive attitude and good luck with the querying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A whole book in 24 days?! Ok, I'll admit it--I'm a little jealous. It took me a year and a half to get my first draft done. I think I doubt myself too much when I'm writing, trying to get each sentence perfect when I should just let the words flow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iceland? Wow! That sounds exciting! And yay for working on Book 2 and for loving what you´re writing :-) You can doooooo it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Iceland that is so awesome!!! Have a great time. Yay for loving what you are writing and querying…the trenches are tough but you can do it. And you did a whole book in 24 days? Okay I quit now. :-P It takes me months!!!!!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have so much fun in Iceland! What an amazing opportunity! I hope you'll share pictures when you return. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great that you're genuinely happy with where you are with your writing! Keep going! :)

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, ICELAND. Wow. Second, good luck relaxing into the beginning of a new draft of a new book; it's always a brave moment to begin a new book (even if it's part of a series) because it's fresh and rough and messy. It's a little frightening. I always find myself thinking, "How do I get this anywhere near polished?" And it doesn't matter how many times I reach polished & snappy; I think every new story is doomed to be messy forever. So, really, may you relax easily into writing mode again because it's both a thrilling and scary sort of mode.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so excited for you right now. You wrote a book it 24 days. Now you are loving working on the 2nd in the series. And you are going to Iceland! I would say, have a great week, but I don't think I have to. Your whole world is great right now. So enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 24 days?! You totally rock. Well done, Emma. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction, too, with priorities and laid back attitude :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like you are in a good place with your writing—that's awesome! And it never hurts to give your beta readers a little nudge, right? :)

    Have a fabulous time in Iceland! I hope you do get to see the Northern Lights—that would be so cool!

    Nice to meet you through the IWSG!

    http://swordsandstilettos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have so much fun in Iceland! I hope you get to see the Northern Lights. I've gotten to see them a few times and each time was absolutely magical.

    Also congrats on so much progress this week! And how wonderful to be so in love with your new series. That it a great feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could spend 24 days on the first draft of one chapter! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's awesome you're happy with where you are with writing. And you're right, you can never have too much Neil Gaiman awesomeness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. ICELAND!! Ooh! I'm so jealous.

    That's awesome that you've overcome your querying fear. Definitely a big step. And how in the world did you write a book in 24 days? You must not have kids. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here's where I admit I've never read anything by Neil Gaiman. I'll have to get on that one day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Way to go with a rough draft in 24 days!!! Wowza! That's awesome! Keep having fun with your writing, and in Iceland!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have fun in Iceland! The Northern Lights are incredible to see; I hope you get the chance.

    My roommate has Neverwhere. I definitely need to remember to borrow it this year. So far I've only read The Graveyard Book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wait, you're going to ICELAND??? That's like one of my top places I'd like to go to, and how cool!! I hope you get to see the Northern Lights. Take many pictures! :D

    I still haven't read Untold, but that's because I heard the ending of that one was even worse than the one in Unspoken. I'm about to start it though, now that Unmade is out. Excited and scared for my feels, lol. I hope you like HEIR OF FIRE. I think it's the best she's written so far, and things are really starting to get interesting. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. So awesome! It's so great when things are going well, isn't it? :) It's so good to hear! I know you'll have a blast in Iceland! You'll come back even more inspired, no doubt. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't realize UNMADE was out already. I'll have to make sure I get my hands on a copy. I have HEIR OF FIRE, but haven't gotten to it yet either. I don't know what's wrong with me lol. I know what you mean about switching gears from edit mode to draft mode. That's tough to do! Hope all goes well with writing your sequel. Have a great time in Iceland too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have fun writing high fives!! We have to keep the joy in it, or really, what is it worth? I spent two days writing and it felt so good! No worries about marketing or blogging, I just wrote. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are inspiring. I hope you get to see the Northern Lights. I would love to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  25. If you're not stressed while querying, that's awesome.
    First drafts are my bane. Editing is much easier.
    Thanks for sending a submission for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm trying not to stress too! It only stifles creativity anyway! So pleased that you have had fun writing your latest ms, writing should be fun, it is why we started doing it in the first place. Sometimes we are all guilty of forgetting this important detail I think. Hope your feedback is positive and you move from strength to strength.

    Great to visit as a IWSG co-host this month.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on Shiny New Series 2! I hope I get to write a series some day. I'm sure it's fun for you to live with the awesome characters you created through several books. Congrats on fast drafting and good luck to you in the querying trenches!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You're probably already in Iceland by now, but I hope you're having a blast!

    Writing a book in 24 days? That is amazing! You are amazing. I hope the betaing it goes just as smoothly. :)

    ReplyDelete