Pages

Tuesday 16 June 2015

Currently...

It's time for another fortnightly "Currently..." update about what I'm doing right now! :)

Loving

The sunny weather (at least until it started raining again...). The #amwritingchallenge on Instagram. Finishing my draft and having time to play with fun new ideas. Brandon Sanderson's Write About Dragons lectures, which are super-helpful.

Reading

Recently, I've read:

Hidden Huntress, the sequel to Stolen Songbird - loved it!
The Stars Never Rise by Rachel Vincent - a YA paranormal with a genuinely original concept and a great plot!
The last two books in Alexandra Bracken's Darkest Minds trilogy, Never Fade and In the Afterlight - sooo good. And heartbreaking. Book hangover alert!
Time Salvager by Wesley Chu - a fantastic character-driven sci-fi time travel thriller.
Nobody's Goddess by Amy McNulty - a great YA fantasy with some awesome worldbuilding.
A Magic Dark and Bright by Jenny Adams Perinovic - a wonderfully spooky YA ghost story.

Watching

Still re-watching Orphan Black. I also finally saw Avengers: Age of Ultron, which was entertaining but not as good as the first one (the internet had already forewarned me!).

I finished Avatar: the Last Airbender (thanks, Netflix!) and I absolutely loved it! Next I'm moving onto the spinoff, The Legend of Korra, which has been recommended to me many, many times!

Listening to

Epic soundtracks, because I'm in high fantasy mode!

Thinking about

My fantasy series! I'm also playing around with other concepts and ideas, including a space opera/urban fantasy idea I really like. I'm not the kind of writer who gets ambushed by a major plotbunny and starts writing immediately. I only get a handful of good ideas a year, if I'm lucky, and all my books come from extensive brainstorming, usually over months or years. So I'm not sure if anything will come of this, but it's fun anyway!

Anticipating

YALC. Only a month to go! :D

Wishing

This draft goes smoothly! I'm transitioning from first person present tense YA post-apocalyptic to third-person multi-POV past tense high fantasy, which is a pretty big jump in style. Also, this is my 22nd novel (!!!), but it's still a first draft and therefore comes with the usual writerly angst and fears.

Making me happy

Writing. Reading great books. (Mostly) nice weather. Finishing a series I started drafting in 2013. :)

6 comments:

  1. Lots of stuff to be happy about, Emma! And wow! Your 22nd novel! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Changing POV is always a challenge.

    As far as epic soundtracks, the three LOTR CD's are great for fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another great example! :) I love those soundtracks.

      Delete
  3. Orphan Black ... I've wanted to watch that one. Sounds like I should. Hmm... So you're re-watching it. Glad to hear you're moving forward with all this fantasy! Great place to be, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good! :) I'm re-watching the first two seasons as I haven't seen the latest episodes yet.

      Delete