Pages

Saturday 26 September 2015

#WIPMarathon September Update

It's time for another #WIPMarathon update, hosted by Ifeoma Dennis!

Last report wordcount:

I was at 17K of the YA SF WIP. I'd also finished edits on Indestructible and was partway through editing the second book.

Current report wordcount: 

I finished edits on the sequel to Indestructible, then got edit notes on Book 3. So, back into the editing cave I went! I did the last major edit, and read over the trilogy again.

I also did final revisions on Collision (Alliance, #3) with CP/beta feedback. This one's been through eleven major revisions in ten months (seriously), more than any of my other books. But it's finally done!

And I sent Darkworld revisions in to my publishers.

I'm at 49K of my YA SF draft.

WIP issues this month: Again, project-juggling. I'm still slow to switch my brain between projects, which causes difficulties when you have to keep jumping from edits on one series to another!

I also reached the stage of my draft where the plot went completely out of hand. Once again, this one started well, veered off the rails, and will definitely need some major reworking in edits. Le sigh.

Four things I learned this month in writing:
  • I can't read other books when editing and actually concentrate properly. I noticed this in August, too, but it's like my brain just shuts out any words apart from my own (and client work). If I try to read, I can't enjoy it because my Inner Editor is in overdrive. (As opposed to drafting, when reading other books inspires me!)
  • I'm getting slightly better at project-jumping...
  • ...but I won't schedule edits on two series in the same month again. Especially when there's a chance of a third lot of edits hitting my inbox. (For those counting, I've done multiple editing passes on five books in the past three months. Eep.)
  • I'm never going to get a book right the first time. If I actually wrote an in-depth outline for all my books, I might be able to, but I always hit a wall during plotting and end up leaving the details vague. If I waited to have all the details down, I'd never actually start writing...
    What distracted me this month when writing: Life! Birthday stuff, work stuff, lots of freelance work and possible travel plans!

    Goal for next month:

    Finish this draft!

    Final proofread and formatting on Collision (Alliance, #3), and get the pre-order up.

    Also, Demon Heart releases on the 19th. :)

    I'd also like to do the final proofread of Indestructible.

    Last 200 words:  I just escaped the editing swamp, so I don't have anything new to share... but there'll be a teaser from Demon Heart when it releases in just over three weeks! :D

    5 comments:

    1. Go you!

      I struggle to read while editing too and similarly find books inspiring during the drafting phase. Must be a thing ;)

      Wishing you all the best as usual for writerly things in October!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Great job as usual this month, Emma! :D

      I'm also never going to get it right the first time, even if I outline to the end haha. Don't know why...

      Like Susan said, wishing you all the best as usual for writerly things in October! Go you!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Your distractions sound like good ones, especially the possible travel plans!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I'm about the opposite - I do far more reading when I'm editing. It's like reading messing me up when I'm drafting, but inspires me to edit harder when I'm in editing or rewriting mode.

      Great job juggling things this month! And congratulations on Demon Heart!! ^_^

      Good luck juggling your edits next month, but you got this!

      ReplyDelete
    5. I read no matter what stage of writing/editing I'm at, but I'm the same as Krystal -- I feel like reading during editing makes me work harder to get those sentences tighter :) I love how everyone's personal technique varies but each one works specifically for *us*.

      As ever, I'm astounded by how you're able to juggle so many disparate projects, keep them all straight, AND make fantastic progress each month. Whatever you're doing obviously works! :) Keep it up!

      ReplyDelete