Pages

Saturday 30 January 2016

#WIPMarathon January Update

It's time for another #WIPMarathon update, hosted by Ifeoma Dennis!

Last report wordcount: Last month, I was plotting shiny new side projects. (Urban fantasy!)

Current report wordcount: I edited Divided (Alliance, #4) , and did the final proofread of Souls Forsaken (Darkworld 4) and the second-round edit of Darkness Falling (Darkworld 5).

I published Indestructible and proofread Ablaze (Book 2).  

I also outlined a new urban fantasy series because the idea wouldn't leave me alone. I rewrote the first chapter around 20 times before starting the draft. I got about 17,000 words written in total, including an absolutely insane 8K-word writing day yesterday. (Why do these things only happen when I'm about to leave the country? Why?!)

WIP issues this month: Having too many projects on at the same time, and publishing-related mental blocks. Once I switched to a project I was excited about, the words started flowing!

Four things I learned this month in writing:

  • The #1 reason I can write a draft fast (and one I always forget) -- I spend FOREVER writing the first chapter. It takes me longer to figure out how to start a draft than it does to actually write it. Seriously. In the middle of every project, I get sidelined by at least one shiny new idea and have to explore it in a hundred different ways before I settle on a clear focus. At any one time, I'm fiddling with the first chapter of at least two future projects, sometimes for months or even years, and I always seem to forget this when I actually start a draft! (I have three in progress right now. Oops.)
  • Related: I think it's because I need to know what the story's about before I start. I do get to know the characters better on the page, but I need to know the main story's goal and arc before I start writing. But once I've fixed it in place, I rarely have to make changes. (This is why I don't mind doing heavy revisions, because I'm only changing surface things. The actual story never changes.)
  • I always need to be working on a draft. I've probably mentioned this before, but it's not just because my ability to jump into a writing flow state totally stops if I take days off. I have a moth-to-flame-like tendency to get emotionally attached to ideas, and I'm still working on reconciling my sensitive artist tendencies with the reality that the ideas I like the most aren't the ones readers want to read the most. Quickly moving from one project to another is a defence mechanism I wish I didn't need, but this is one of the reasons I let myself play around with new first chapters, so I always have potential projects to dive into after finishing a WIP.
  • Sometimes it really does take a long time to realise which book I should be writing.
What distracted me this month when writing:  Everything, as usual. :P Book releases, another book signing in March (yay!), emails, freelancing, preparing for New Zealand (next week. AHHH!)...

Goal for next month: I'm not setting firm goals next month because I'm travelling. I'm taking a notebook with a story outline written down, but it depends on whether I have any free time while I'm over there. On my first long trip (Australia), I didn't have any free time at all, whereas when I spent five weeks in Costa Rica in 2012, I ended up finishing the draft of Darkness Watching by hand while volunteering in the rainforest. So anything can happen. :)

I'd like to get part of a rough draft down, if just because I have two 31-hour flights and a lot of time on the road... but I'm not committing to anything.

Last 200 words: ...are a secret, because edits. ;)

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on all the progress made--and have fun on your trip! *-* So exciting!

    I love that you can draft so quickly, and I wish I could constantly do that as well. I have a few good periods, but I can spend months not working on anything or barely working on things. You wrote an entire draft BY HAND once? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)

      It was half a draft, but I didn't have a computer so it was the only option I had! I really wanted to finish the book -- and I'm glad I did, because it was Darkness Watching. :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, Souls Forsaken is such a good title!! And ohmygosh, your publishing is insane!!

    I need to have the main goal and major plot points of a story down before I can start drafting, too. Things turn out so much better this way! And it also takes me a long time to find the right project. One day I'll figure it out. Lol!

    Such long flights! It's worth it for a great time abroad though, I'm sure. ^_^ I hope you have so much fun in New Zealand! So jealous! Good luck with everything you're tackling next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! ^_^ I wish there was an easy way to find the right project, but I always seem to have to change directions ten times first.

      Delete
  3. Woot! You got SO much done and now you'll get a well-deserved vacation. Have FUN and be safe! I can't wait to read Ablaze, and I love the title "Souls Forsaken". An 8k day is insane-- good work! I love when a project takes hold of you like that and demands to be written. I hope you're able to jot down some words while you're traveling, but remember you're there to explore and relax and take a break from the crazy writing/publishing world! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D It's been a long time coming, but I'm so excited about this series!

      Delete
  4. It's fascinating to hear about your writing process because it's so different from mine! ;) I struggle to work on more than one project at a time, which I know is how this year is going to end up being for me and I'm already a little nervous about it.

    I hope you have a totally awesome time in New Zealans! So envious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it'll be fine. :) I think it's cool that writers' processes vary so much!

      Thanks! ^_^

      Delete
  5. Drafting is my favorite part - it's the rewriting that makes it tough. All those plot lines and red herrings, plus I always need to outline at this point and I hate outlining. Great achievements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like drafting if it's going well! Editing is always a headache, especially if I need to do major rewrites.

      Delete
  6. Woah 8K in a day is mind-blowing! But who am I kidding, typical of Emma!

    Thank you for sharing some of your fast draft writing tips with us! It takes me forever to work on my first chapter yet I can't exactly fast draft...but maybe this next time it'd be different.

    Have fun in New Zealand! Can't wait to see pictures!

    I'm with everyone saying that Souls Forsaken is such a great title! I can't wait to dive into the DarkWorld series this year! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the process is different for everyone. :)

      I can't wait! :) Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Wow, you are SUPERWOMAN. I'm always so amazed by your monthly check-ins. Have an absolutely incredible time on your trip and I hope your travel time is peaceful and conducive to getting that draft down. I've never tried drafting on a flight, but I think it might actually take my mind off the fact that I hate being in a metal tube over the ocean ;) Are you traveling with friends to NZ or on your own?

    ReplyDelete